Where to Order Handmade Reeds
Note: Reeds are made to order and can take 2+ weeks to arrive, so always order before you actually need them! Many places have a reed subscription or auto-ship service (I order 2-3 reeds per month for myself to avoid reed emergencies). Though I am able to make reeds, making them for all of my students is too time-consuming! I suggest ordering from the places below - I am always ordering from new reed-makers and updating this list so you don't have to do the guesswork.
For 5th-6th Grade Beginners: Beginners should have reeds that respond easily, don't sound too quacky, and are inexpensive.
- Edmund Nielsen - 6th and 7th graders should get "medium hard" in chocolate, black, or purple thread colors. Edmund Nielsen reeds are color-coded by maker, so the thread color on their site does matter!
- Stellar "Student" Reeds - Use their monthly subscription to avoid long wait times
For Auditions, High School/College Students and Professionals: These reeds are made with the highest quality cane, sound very dark/resonant, and are scraped with more detail.
- Wildflower Reeds (in Texas) - made by Elise Belk (former student of John Mack). I use the "medium professional" reeds. These are great for students with strong embouchures. Arrived 1 week after ordering.
- James Sullivan Reeds via Double or Nothing Reeds
- Bjorklund Reedworks (in Chicago) - Warm/dark sound, easy response. Arrived almost 1 month after ordering, but worth the wait! They offer a monthly subscription.
- Shalita Black Label Pro Reed - Dark sound, easy response, opening is more closed and good for students with relaxed embouchures, arrived almost 2 weeks after ordering. They offer a monthly subscription.
- Moreno Reeds - Dark sound, easy response, medium opening, arrived 5 weeks after ordering
- Dr. Leland Greene Reeds (Ohio State oboe professor): Responsive, warm/dark sound. Ask me for his contact info.
- (shop on break temporarily) Samantha Marie Reeds - Easy to play, dark sound - good for relaxed embouchures
English Horn Reeds
- Wildflower Reeds
- Double or Nothing Reeds
- Leland Greene
- Erica Howard
- DeLuna Reeds (might be a 6-week wait)
- Forrests Music
- For 6th/7th grade beginners: "Forrests Gold Label" or "Albion Blue Label" (medium soft or medium)
- For auditioning middle schoolers and high schoolers: the "Forrests Black Label" (I use medium soft)
- Cullen Blain Reeds
- Tom Hardy Reeds - from London, and excellent audition reeds!
- LC Double Reeds
- Tiger Reeds
- Bocal Majority "Medium" Reeds - these also come in fun themes...Star Wars, Zelda, holidays, etc.
- Raffe Reeds by Eryn Oft
- Double or Nothing Reeds
- Bel Canto Reeds